Sunday, June 21, 2009

Fatherhood

I have really enjoyed celebrating father's day with my family today. I am truly blessed with a great family, including my wife and children and my own parents and in-laws. We have had an awesome day together.

Fatherhood is a great responsibility. As men, we have the opportunity to do great good or great harm to our families. We all leave a legacy, and it is ultimately up to us as fathers to determine if it will be one filled with love and positive engagement or irresponsibility and distance (physical or emotional). Many men are caught up in day to day busyness which hinders them from seeing the broader view of their importance and impact as fathers. My prayer is that fathers would be able to connect with their children, and that in the absence of fathers, other men would be able to step in to families as positive role models. This is one of the reasons I am so passionate about the need for mentoring in communities where family structures have broken down. Masculinity bestows masculinity, and fatherhood is important to a healthy society.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Well said Bryan. Over the years I have worked with many families and kids and I can tell you almost instantly whether or not there is a dad in the midst. Father's are essential to children's sense of self-esteem, confidence, and character. I am blessed to have such good friends who are also good dads.