Saturday, December 29, 2012

Taking Some Time Off

I have taken some time off this week from my official duties as a pastor of a church community that I love leading in the East End of the city of Pittsburgh. The rest has been wonderful, and I've had the opportunity to spend some great time with my family. We didn't go anywhere on vacation this Christmas, so we've been spending a lot of time at our house in Homewood.

Down time in Homewood is never really down time. My urban neighborhood actually becomes more accessible to me when I slow down the pace of my life. As always, I've experienced the negative emotions that come with gun shots and other crazy stuff that happens in my neighborhood. However, I've also experienced some amazing things that have brought much joy and meaning into my life. God was able to work through me to be a good neighbor to some of my neighbors who desperately needed some support this week.

God is transforming my heart as he allows me to enter into the lives of the some of the most resilient people living in this city. I am so thankful for the opportunity that God has given me to not just run a program in a distressed urban neighborhood, but to become a part of the fabric of the community and to lock arms with people who are navigating through extremely difficult life circumstances. God is showing me new things every day through the eyes of my neighbors.

No comments: