Monday, December 24, 2012

Ministry in the City

Every new day brings about a great sense of anticipation for pastors in the city. I never know what to expect. God could bring any new kind of person or any new kind of circumstance across my path at any given moment, and it's my job to engage each situation with the love of Jesus Christ. I love it when people ask me to pray with them, or to answer a question about God or the purpose of life. There are at least 100,000 people living and working within walking distance of the church I lead. If I engage my city at all levels, including powerful and powerless places, then God is able to work through me to impact lives. And I've seen many lives impacted over this last year that North Way East End has been around. This is urban ministry... taking risks, radically living out the incarnational message of Jesus Christ, embracing unpredictability, building authentic relationships, and engaging the city with the whole gospel.

No comments: