Friday, December 7, 2012

Investing in Others

One of my former LAMP school-based mentees showed up at the North Way Christmas concert last night in East Liberty. He changed school districts when he entered high school, so I had not been able to serve as his school-based mentor any longer. Still, when I saw him we kind of picked up right where we had left off in our relationship two years ago. It's amazing how much of an impact we can make when we choose to invest in the lives of young people as they develop. The kids who I've had the privilege of mentoring, coaching, teaching, and pastoring over the past 15 years have brought tremendous joy and purpose into my life, and it's exciting to watch them develop into adults who take on the world. Every person is uniquely created by God, and it's been so much fun to walk through life with so many different people in different parts of Pittsburgh, Ohio, and California over the years. And it never gets old... I look forward each and every day to seeing which people God will bring across my path. Following Jesus, to me, is all about giving myself away to others through meaningful relationships.

No comments: