Saturday, August 18, 2012

A Good Day

This morning I was a part of a great LAMP cultural training at Faison School in Homewood. We had a group of 15 new potential LAMP mentors participate, and I can say it was one of the best groups we've ever had at a LAMP training. They were all very engaged with learning more about the neighborhood, the school, the community, and how they can be a part of the transformation that is going on through faith-based mentoring. We had some honest discussions about race and culture. We dreamed about how we could each make a difference in the life of a child. All around, it was a good time together with followers of Jesus who are stepping out of their comfort zones.

After the training I sat out on my front porch in Homewood and lots of kids in the LAMP program stopped by to visit on their way to and from a community event at Faison that was hosted by the Homewood Children's Village. One of the things I enjoy about Homewood is that people are always walking around the neighborhood and stopping and talking to people. It's a sense of community that I didn't really get when I was living in the suburbs. It's fun to catch up on people's lives and here about everything that's going on in the community.

Now, I'm planning to head over to the house of a family from North Way East End who are moving to live in the city. Tonight is going to be their first night sleeping in the house they recently bought. The whole scenario is giving me flashbacks to my first night of living in Homewood. I think I heard every sound in the city that night... trains, sirens, engines, bass systems, voices, and all kinds of random noises. I am used to those sounds now, but my friends will be experiencing the sounds of living in the city for the first time. I am so excited for their urban adventure, and I know God is going to do big things through their family.

No comments: