Friday, March 9, 2012

Looking Forward to an Amazing Weekend

Today is my day off, and I'm bracing myself for an intense weekend of urban ministry. I honestly can't wait to see what God has in store. Early tomorrow morning I'm going to join with the North Way East End elders as we hit the streets of the city to prayer walk. As leaders of a church in a complex urban environment, we are committed to humbling ourselves in prayer before the Lord for direction, and we are committed to doing that in the streets instead of from a distant, comfortable environment. After the prayer time, I'll head back to Homewood for a LAMP cultural training with ten new mentors from various North Way church campuses. These followers of Jesus have seen that there are children struggling in their own city, and they are stepping up with their time and resources to dramatically impact the life of a child through a long term, transformational relationship. It's relatively easy to be passionate from a comfortable distance after watching a 30 minute video about children suffering in Africa, and then completely ignore the violence and suffering associated with poverty that happens right down the street from us in our own city where God has placed us. These mentors are fully engaging with at-risk children in their own city. I'll be helping to train them on building relationships across cultures... racially, socioeconomically, and often across suburban and urban lines. I believe strongly that Christians should be leading the way in our world when it comes to reconciliation and building relationships across cultures, and the cultural training of new mentors allows me to put my money where my mouth is. Tomorrow night Pastor Freedom and I will have the opportunity to spend time with a national church multisite consultant who will be helping us to shape what God is already doing at North Way East End... a new church location that is intentionally cross-cultural, missional, and urban. We are looking forward to that time together.

On Sunday, we will gather to worship in the East End and I know that God is going to move in many ways. God is always on mission to redeem every part of the East End of Pittsburgh, and our church is living right smack in the midst of that mission. I'm leading our church to sell out to the radical message of the gospel of Jesus Christ... that's an amazing privilege for me as a pastor. After the worship service our North Way city staff will spend more time with the multisite consultant, Jim Tomberlin, as we shape the common vision between the Oakland and East End campuses. After that time, I'll go get to do one of my favorite things... hit the streets of the inner city to round up kids to go to a block party at the ministry center. The block party from 4-6pm will involve opening up the ministry center to the community, and our excellent student ministry leaders have prepared an amazing outreach event for kids in the city. We haven't even officially launched student ministries yet, and God has already brought together 35 servant leaders. I wouldn't be surprised if God works through North Way East End to impact hundreds, if not thousands, of lives of children over the years to come in the East End of Pittsburgh. It all starts Sunday evening!

In between all of these events this weekend, I'll get to spend time with Julie and the girls. I'm looking forward to engaging with them as a husband and father. Also, my family is a huge part of this adventure that God has us on in the East End. Every day we don't know what to expect... God could bring people from the commnity to our house to share a meal. People we know and love may have tremendous break throughs in life, or we may have to help them navigate through tremendous pain. This is ministry in the city... stark contrasts with a high density of people living in such close proximity to one another. I can't think of a better place to be than right in the midst of all the craziness. I know one thing for sure... God will be glorified in the city this weekend through North Way Christian Community!

No comments: