Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Honduras: Day Two

This morning we went back to the Genesis Center so that I could interview several of the young men who live there and are helping to get the place fixed up. I only had the time to interview two of them, Gerson and Saul. I can't wait to share their stories in my dissertation! They both have troubled pasts involving gangs and crime, and now they have both experienced dramatic transformation and are on the path to become pastors (even at the ages of 19 and 20 years old). They practically preached sermons to me with the stories of their lives and the closeness that they now feel with Jesus thanks to our Lord's grace and redemption. They are leaders, and they are extremely passionate about following Christ and giving themselves away to others. This type of Christianity is a far cry from the comforts of prosperity doctrine and self help gospel that has unfortunately made its way into many churches in the United States. These young men in Honduras, former prisoners, have a profound faith that would inspire any Christian to live a life that is sold out for Jesus. In the afternoon we visited an orphanage called Nueva Esperanza where I was able to interview three boys aged 9, 12, and 13. Nueva Esparanza is a sort of transition home for children in crisis, ranging in age from infants to 15 year olds. Over 160 children live there, and we were really touched by spending time with the children and the staff members. I was also able to interview their executive director and lead child pshychologist, which yielded a lot of insight into the struggles that they face to meet the holistic needs of the children that they are serving. They work very hard, but they face many uphill battles with the young people, particularly boys, who come to them hardened by life on the streets or in slums. I hope that I will be able to share their story well in my dissertation so that more people might be prompted to invest in the lives of the at-risk children there. After that site visit we went back to the Genesis Center so that I could interview a pastor named Harold who is basically serving as the very first LAMP mentoring coordinator in Honduras. He was one of the main people who was responsible for the transformation in Gerson and Saul's lives, so he is a seasoned urban ministry practitioner who I am confident will be great at implementing mentoring in his context.

God is moving in Honduras, and I am so thankful that He has allowed me the opportunity to spend time doing research in this amazing country. This trip is simply reinforcing the fact that Christians who choose not to spend time with the poor, whether in the United States or in other countries around the world, are missing out on so much joy that is found in life in humble circumstances. I've had American Christians tell me that not all Christians are called to minister with the poor because it is one of those "optional" parts of being a Christian. I push back strongly to people who tell me that because I believe that all followers of Jesus have a biblical mandate to care for the poor and other marginalized people in our world. It is not an option, we are simply being disobedient if we fail to act. However, that concept goes much deeper than that. Beyond ommission, neglect, or disobedience, we are truly missing out on the great joy that comes with our own transformation as our own limited worldviews are rocked. We miss out on having God work through other people to minister to us across cultures, races, and classes, through His Holy Spirit. This time in Honduras goes beyond a research project for my dissertation. It goes far beyond helping to get mentoring programs going in a new country. It goes far beyond somehow helping other people in my limited time here. This visit is about how much my Lord loves me, and the great gift that he is giving me this week as I am stretched and as I learn more about Jesus Christ through the eyes of orphans and young men and women who this world writes off as lost causes. Wherever a "lost cause" might be found, that's right were we will find Jesus. Thank you, Father, for this day that you have given me. I will never forget, and I am changed forever day by day because of your grace! Jesus, please help me to be more like the people I spent time with today.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

I am so excited to read about your trip and know that you are visiting all the places that I have visited and love. Your words in yesterday's blog about what you are teaching your girls about what true Christianity is were inspiring to me. I give thanks to God for what He is doing in your life.

Bryan McCabe said...

Thanks Deanna! You should have heard the kids at Las Brisas screaming for Randy today. It was crazy! And we met kids who love you, too. It was a fun day.