Monday, April 18, 2011

The First Bible

I recently had the opportunity to give a young person his first Bible. One of my favorite things to do in life is to give a Bible to a person that I have spent a lot of time investing in relationally. I talk to young people a lot about the meaning of life, why we are here on this planet, the tension between good and evil, the consequences of sin, and many different practical discussions about every day life. So, by the time I give a young person a Bible they are open to having a tool that will help them with their lives. Only, of course, the Bible is much more than just a tool to help us in our lives. I'm handing them the Word of God. It is crucial to everything that we do. It explains God's mission to redeem the world. The kids that I mentor seem to have a hunger for being a part of something bigger that is going on around them. Many of my mentees are exposed to some extreme brokenness from a very young age, so they are forced to wrestle with adult struggles in their lives long before any child should be forced to face those issues. That is all the more reason why it is so important for them to have Christians that spend time with them in their context. They need help to guide them through uncharted waters of life. And, thankfully, God gives us his Word to light the path for all of us. I am looking forward to spending time in the Scriptures with my friend as we share life together over the months and years to come.

No comments: