Thursday, February 4, 2010

Justice, Spirituality, Relationships, and Beauty

Today I listened to an audio presentation by author N.T. Wright about the four “internal voices” that all human beings are drawn to: we are all drawn to justice, spirituality, human relationships, and beauty. We are not able to experience the fullness of all four things in this world because we live in a fallen world (evil is present). However, Wright made the point that these four things are “the echoes of Jesus,” meaning Jesus dealt with all of them once and for all when he dealt with evil through the cross.

In looking at the four things, I would say that I am most drawn to justice and beauty. I long for things to be just in our world (on many different levels), and I long for beauty (I may not always quantify it that way, but I do). However, Wright also pointed out the importance of understanding historical context in Scripture as a way of understanding our “internal voices.” If we don’t understand what Jesus did on the cross, or if we rely on our own understanding, then we as humans will come up with all kinds of ways of thinking to find meaning in life (the Enlightenment, modernity, agnosticism, or postmodernity are examples). I thought Wright did a great job of describing the power of what Jesus did for us, and how we can act powerfully as followers of Christ in this postmodern era.

Which of the four things are you most drawn to in your life: justice, spirituality, relationships, or beauty?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bryan

I've found that which of the four I am drawn to at any particular time is somewhat situational. As life's circumstances ebb and flow, what soothes my soul moves, too.

Maybe it's a 'old guy' thing. :)

John V

Karl Schroeder said...

I love reading Wright - Just no beginning Justification - I am more predisposed to the issue of justice of the four.

http://collegerotary.typepad.com/karl-schroeder/