Monday, February 22, 2010

The Bible Subverts All Other Worldviews

I have been learning a lot about the importance of understanding the Bible as a grand narrative, as opposed to developing a fragmented view of Scripture which breaks the Bible down into applicable, devotional pieces which are often taken out of context. This type of biblical interpretation is a product of the Enlightenment, which emphasizes reason and the use of scientific tools to bring about previously unknown levels of understanding. It can be very dangerous. My problem is that I am very conditioned to break the Bible down into tiny bits so that I can understand it better or communicate it more clearly to others. I am having to relearn how to grasp the joy that can be found in placing myself in God's broader story.

The exciting thing about understanding the Bible as a grand narrative is that God designed it to overcome all other worldviews (including modernism, postmodernism, economic globalization, etc.). N. T. Wright wrote, "By opening the Bible and reading it for all its worth the Church will be unable to avoid the fact that it challenges and subverts other world views."

How do you understand Scripture? Do you try to break it down into smaller pieces to be able to process it better, or do you find it easier to process in story form?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bryan

I just started reading a book titled '66 Love Letters' by Dr. Larry Crabb. His thought is that the Bible is indeed one long narrative, broken into 66 love letters to us. I've only read the first chapter, so I'll have to let you know what I think of the book later.

I've always tried to take a 'both ways' view of the Bible, i.e. breaking it down into digestible bits while trying to keep the whole narrative and context in mind. I've only been semi successful.

John V