Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Bogged Down

What did I learn today? I am learning that literary genres in the Bible are crucial to interpretation. Context, both historical and literary, are crucial factors in interpreting the Scriptures. Also important are asking the right questions and using the right tools to bring about understanding.

The breadth of information covered so far in this course is important to me as a student of Scripture because I am in many ways building a foundation for understanding and Biblical interpretation. I have always loved the Bible and had an interest in learning more, but I have never really had to lean into the content in this depth.

For instance, I am hoping that learning to understand the different genres in Scripture will help to trigger a renewed interest in reading what I have often perceived to be the more “difficult” books of the Bible. Authors Fee and Stuart in "How to Read the Bible for All its Worth" describe how many people get “bogged down” in books such as Leviticus, Jeremiah, or Proverbs. That often happens to me. As a good student of Scripture, I don’t want to get bogged down anymore.

Do you find yourself getting "bogged down" anywhere in the Bible, or perhaps developing a bias for reading what seem to be more "applicable" books like the New Testament letters?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bryan

Ah yes, Biblical genres. To me understanding them are a critical part of proper understanding, interpretation, and application of Scripture. Is a passage literal or allegorical, what is the historical context, etc. are questions you must ask and answer.

As you do ask and answer those questions, I think you'll find that some of what you've been taught or assumed 'ain't quite right'. I know that's what I discovered. That's not neccessarily meant as a critism of those whose teaching I've sat under; it's more that there's a lot of of background to know, and not everyone has a good handle on it.

I also think that as you get a good handle of those questions, you'll be better prepared to 'read between the lines' (with the Spirit's guidance, of course). There's a lot in Scripture that is 'implied' that you can miss without proper context, etc.

John V

Bryan McCabe said...

John... thank you for your wise comment. You are tracking right along with what I'm learning in this course (without having read the books). Very cool!

I am "unlearning" quite a bit, but I'm also building a more solid foundation as I go.