Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Day in the Life

Today was a a great day. I left early this morning to head to a staff meeting at North Way. I love the team that is in place there, and I really value the friendships that I've developed over the past four years. It really is an amazing place to work! Before noon I had the opportunity to train some of North Way's finest on the externally focused strategy that I'm helping to implement at the church. I love how people are so responsive to change, and to God's call for Christians to be passionately engaged outside the walls of the church. Watch out, Pittsburgh!

On my lunch break I recorded a podcast with my friend, Steve Brennan. Steve was one of my best friends growing up, and we have really enjoyed reconnecting and sharing the masculine journey with one another as adults. You check out the podcast at www.journeymenpodcast.com. Our last episode had over 100 downloads! We're not deep theologians or philosophers. We're just sharing our journeys through life with others.

After spending some time at Faison Primary planning this Friday's field trip (300 kids from Homewood are going to North Way Wexford), I headed to my office to finally sit down and work on some emails. Out of the blue my mentee called me to help him with his school science project, so we worked on it over dinner and snacks with my family. My oldest daughter helped him out with the gluing (and some advice). Two other boys from the neighborhood stopped by to visit us for a little while. We all played Wii Resort. With the science project completed, my mentee and I went over to Club One in East Liberty to play pick-up basketball games. I had a good time introducing him to all of the guys who I play with every week. I was so proud of how he played! He hustled the whole time even though he was the youngest there by far, and he even hit a three pointer to win a game for his team. It was a great bonding time... but don't listen to any of the rumors about him beating me. After I dropped him off, I received a phone call from another young man in the LAMP program. He needed some advice with something he's been going through. I was glad he thought to call me.

When I got home I had a great time sharing my day with my wife, Julie, who is such an amazing gift to me! She has such a great heart. Anyway, my day was just beginning in some ways because it's now time to study (no TV for this guy). I am loving the course I'm taking at BGU called God's Grand Narrative. God is really stretching me, and drawing me closer to Him through all of this. I felt like I needed a study break, so might as well cap the day off with a blog post. I am so blessed!

No comments: