Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Training Stories


Around 210 people from North Way have completed LAMP mentoring and cultural training since we launched the partnership with the Faison schools in Homewood three years ago.  I've had the interesting experience of participating in, and in many cases facilitating, almost every monthly training session.  I just arrived home from one such mentoring training, and I continue to be amazed by the differences in each group of trainees who go through this material.

I love to interject stories into the training curriculum, and Joanne Galinowski from Family Guidance is good at inviting me to bring those stories into the content she has planned for the training sessions.  Tonight I shared the infamous "F-bomb email" story with the group.  I followed that up with the "peeing on the school" incident from two years ago.

But I don't only share negative or funny stories.  I love to share stories about the incredible breakthroughs I've had with the young people in Homewood and East Hills.  I love to talk to people about how much potential my mentees have.  Although life is a struggle for them sometimes, they each have bright futures.  They can each make a huge impact on this world if given the opportunity.  I'm thankful for the opportunity that I have to impact their lives, even if it's only once or twice a week.  I'm also thankful for the opportunity to share good stories about young people with the new mentors going through training.  I can't wait to see how God shows up in their upcoming mentoring matches.

No comments: