Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Life is Humbling

This past month has been intense, and today I was forced to take a break.  I must have had food poisoning or something, but I needed to take my first sick day in a long time.  It was very humbling.  Slowing down for a day has caused me to reflect on how often I am being humbled lately.

I completed my first doctorate class last week.  I learned a lot, and I am so glad that I did it, but it took every ounce of effort that I could muster up.  It was humbling because I realize how much I have to learn (and unlearn) about the world.  Also, I academic writing is a daunting task, and so is trying to find margin in life while studying so much.

Working with kids through LAMP is also tremendously humbling.  I think I know a lot about working with young people, but God seems to constantly be putting me in situations where I need to completely depend on Him for guidance.  Mentoring kids is tough sometimes!

Marriage and family life is also humbling.  I love my wife so much, and we still find ourselves constantly working on building and growing our relationship.  It does not matter how many successes I have in my career or in life... my family is more important.  I also need to continue to make sure that I bring my family along with me in the adventure!

Most of all, having a relationship with God is humbling.  Sometimes I feel so close to God, and other times I feel distant.  I simply can't comprehend how mysterious and dangerous God is, and how He could love me so much.

1 comment:

Jason G. said...

Humbling... I dislike that word. Unfortunately, it's a painful process but a necessary one to move forward and mature. I, like yourself, have experienced a lot of humbling experiences lately. I hate them. I guess that means I am growing. I call them growing pains.