Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Darts and Electricity

It has been really great to see how the LAMP Post mentoring center on my parents' farm is coming together. We installed a dart board this past weekend, and it is already a magnet for kids (the mentees and my own). Throwing darts is one of those great activities, especially for guys. It's hard for many male mentors to sit across a table from their mentees and "just talk." When throwing darts, great discussions develop around countless minutes spent throwing sharp objects around. The competition is also an important part of the equation. I love when cries of joy and dismay are mixed into an average conversation due to the drama that only darts can provide. I can tell I'm getting old because I woke up on Sunday with "dart arm." Yes, my arm was actually sore as if I had lifted weights the day before. Next thing you know I won't be able play darts anymore due to a nagging medical diagnosis of "dart elbow." Either that or the puncture wounds associated with recreational activities involving placing sharp objects in the hands of my mentees.

Also, electrical boxes and outlets were installed for the gymnasium-style lights that have been purchased for the barn. The only hinderance to a prolonged game of darts, or pool, or ping pong at the moment is darkness. Well, that and a few minor holes in the barn floor that kids might happen to fall into. Anyway, very soon the LAMP Post will be fully operational! Hopefully this space will be a tremendous resource for people. I know I'm enjoying setting things up.

No comments: