Saturday, November 22, 2008

LAMP at North Way Oakland

Yesterday LAMP held a group mentoring event at North Way Oakland.  The kids had a great time, and so did the mentors.  So far this school year this is the third time these mentors have spent time with this particular group of kids.  My hope is that by the end of this school year there will have been some strong rapport developed.  The kids seem to love coming to the church for events.  We kicked everything off with relay races called Indoor Sledding, where the kids had to push a partner on a sled past some cones.  During the next relay race, the kids had to try on huge men's clothing, run with it on, and then give it to the next person in line once they got to the other cone.  The kids went crazy!  It reminded me of my Young Life club days.  After the relay races the kids ate pizza, then they went right into the mentoring stations that we had set up.  These included the Nintendo Wii, XBox, chess, inflatable basketball, miniature golf, puzzles, board games, crafts, games, and movies playing on the big screen in the auditorium and downstairs in the VIP room for seventh and eighth graders.  I love that these kids had a blast at the church.  On the way out, one of the seventh grade girls told me, "This was the most fun I've ever had!"  What more could we ask for!  This was kind of an intense studying and working week, so this was a great event for me to personally see how it is all worth it!  I got to relax and just enjoy mentoring , which is the point I think.

No comments: