Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Quito Day 5 Update

I'm having such an amazing time dreaming about transforming cities in Quito with so many other people from around the world. This morning I attended breakouts that dealt with innovative ways to build housing for homeless residents of cities, and also a breakout on the migration and refugee crisis. It's hard to believe that a billion people on this earth are migrants, and most of them are currently in or on their way to cities eventually. This is why the work of urban engagement is so important to alleviating poverty and impacting issues like homelessness, orphan care, violence, and health crises.

Here are some photos from my adventures today:



There are art installations all over the area where Habitat III is being held. It's all very interesting!


I worked with a group of leaders to shape how urban children and youth can participate in implementing the New Urban Agenda, and how young people can make sure that their stories are heard and that their insight is welcome.


I toured an installation that Ecuador created to highlight this history of their country. This guy looks pretty fierce!


Lots of countries have exhibitions set up throughout the Habitat III grounds. The Netherlands had some fascinating presentations today about creative ways that they are managing flooding in their cities along the shoreline.


Korea also has a very popular exhibit about their urban planning... a ton of interactive things to do.


I managed to get VIP seating to tonight's Urban Talk since most of the delegates had left for the day. The topic of the Urban Talk tonight was on how city leaders can make a difference in the lives of vulnerable children and youth. All of the speakers did a great job and I learned a lot.

Well, I'll sign off for the day. I'm continuing to pray for all of the happenings here at Habitat III, and I'm engaging as much as I possibly can to shape the future of cities for the next twenty years. This is truly a unique opportunity. 

No comments: