Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Movement Day NYC Adventures

Over the summer I stepped into a new challenge on staff at North Way Christian Community. I handed over the reigns of North Way East End to a new pastor, and I'm now fully engaged in my role as pastor of transformational urban leadership. With hopes of building a solid foundation for the urban leadership teaching, training, writing, and advocacy efforts that I'll be involved in, I set out to travel to Los Angeles for the national CCDA conference, Quito for The Gospel and the Future of Cities Summit and Habitat III, and, finally, Movement Day in New York City. I'm in the home stretch of this national and global training and advocacy here in New York City, and I've been joined in this stretch of the journey by North Way's executive pastor, Randy Blincow.

We are really processing through a lot of great speakers and break out sessions from today. The speakers who shared about urban transformation and Christians leading movements in cities around the world included Mac Pier, Mutua Mahiaini, Billy Hybels, Jayakumar Christian, Leslie Doll, Son Kazanjian, Steve Douglass, One Hock Siew, Tony Evans, Pete Scazzero, Samuel Harrell, Gabriel Salguero, and Noel Castellanos. Each of the speakers shared different perspectives on how followers of Jesus can take on some of the most significant challenges and issues facing our cities, including such topics as the refugee crisis, biblical justice, incarnational leadership, racism, classism, reaching millennials, emotionally healthy leadership, economic and political systemic transformation, family restoration, asset-based community development, sex trafficking, urban slums and squatter neighborhoods, prayer movements, trauma healing, education, health care, integral mission, and visionary leadership.

Here are some of the highlights from the day:


Randy and I are committed to participating in God's redemptive mission in cities like Pittsburgh and in places around the world. We're being further equipped to expand God's kingdom. We're also enjoying spending time together and having some theological debates (Randy was on my pastoral ordination committee years ago so we have a history of theological discussions over the years).


Jayakumar Christian's book God of the Empty-Handed is one of the most powerful books on poverty alleviation and Christian development that I have ever read. It was a privilege to hear him speak at Movement Day and he shared an inspirational message.


Noel Castellanos from CCDA presented a compelling theological foundation for biblical justice and how God's heart is close to the poor and marginalized people in our world.


I caught up with my sister, Cameron, who lives in New York. We had so many great discussions about life, and she was an awesome sounding board for some of the things that I was processing from the day. She's very close to graduating with a Master of Divinity degree from Union Theological Seminary... so proud of her!


I love exploring cities, and I love how New York lights up at night. This is one of the most fascinating places in the world. I'm always thankful to be spending time here.

Well, that's it for today. I'm sure I'll be sending out a lot more about what we're learning tomorrow at Movement Day NYC. Can't wait to learn more about what God is doing in mobilizing Christians to transform urban environments. I'm praying through which of these concepts will build capacity with the work that North Way is engaged in back in Pittsburgh. 

No comments: