Saturday, January 18, 2014

A Full Week of Ministry in the City

As I look back over this past week, I am thankful for the opportunities that God gives me to build relationships with so many different types of people at North Way East End. Serving as an urban pastor allows me to get to know people in a way that transcends socioeconomic, racial, and cultural barriers. This week I met with a businessman who attends the church to encourage him as he helps influential people in our city to steward the resources that God has given them. He is a financial planner, and he is serving God right where he is supposed to be serving God. My goal as a pastor is to continue to point him toward Jesus. I am proud of the way that my friend is honoring the Lord with his vocation.

I spent almost the entire part of another day this week navigating the Allegheny County court system with a young friend of mine from East Hills who managed to get himself into some legal troubles. We've spent at least four or five days over the past three months showing up at court appearances and being bounced around from pretrial event to pretrial event and from magistrate's offices to court rooms. We both know that God is in complete control of the whole situation, and we are trusting God with the outcomes while trying to learn everything that we can from the circumstances. I have been given the gift of time with this young man... lots of time sitting and waiting. We've had some great conversations about life and God and just about everything else. I am thankful for the gift of time.

I prayer walked our city with a pastor friend from Guatemala who leads a ministry that is making a huge difference in many different parts of our world. I served in executive leadership team meetings to help to make decisions that will guide the direction of a church that reaches thousands of people on a weekly basis. I got to serve with the amazing staff at North Way East End... some of my favorite people on this planet who are impacting many people with the Good News of Jesus Christ. I was able to read the Bible, read other books, write, and pray a lot. I led people closer to Jesus during Sunday morning worship at a performing arts theater in the heart of a diverse, urban neighborhood. I spent time with people that I bumped into in the heart of that neighborhood during the week. I spent time in an elementary school in Homewood with board members from our LAMP partner organization. We dreamed about ways that we could continue to impact some of the most vulnerable children in our city through mentoring.

There were so many other experiences this week that I won't take the time to write about in this blog post. However, the important thing for me to remember is that all of this is about people growing closer to God. I am learning to love my city and to love the people that God has called me to lead. I pray that God will continue to stretch me and grow me to build meaningful relationships with many different kinds of people in my city. The city isn't a problem to be solved. The city is a gift of common grace, and its inhabitants are sons and daughters of the Most High God. Leading in this environment is truly a privilege. 

No comments: