Monday, April 22, 2013

Chasing Mavericks: A Mentoring Story

Tonight I sat down with my family to watch a movie called Chasing Mavericks. It is a great mentoring story as an older, more experienced surfer takes a younger, fatherless surfer under his wing. Based on a true story, the movie does a good job of showing the challenges and rewards of mentoring. A process of transformation takes place through long term, meaningful mentoring relationships. Lives are impacted in such a good way when mentoring is done well.

Ironically, about half way through watching the movie our doorbell rang as it so often does. Several young men that I have been mentoring were standing at our door. We invited them in for a snack. We caught up on how everyone was doing. We jumped on the trampoline. It was a fun time. I am thankful for the opportunity I've had to share my life with them over the years. I've been stretched and challenged. My friends have been stretched and challenged. We all benefit from the mentoring experience.

After my friends left, I watched the rest of the movie with my family. The movie was based in California, so it made me miss living in California. I love it out west. I think more than the geographic location, I miss the relationships that I was able to build with people in my six years in California. I was able to mentor I lot of people in those six years as a teacher, coach, and volunteer youth leader. Those past experiences combined with my current mentoring experiences in Pittsburgh have led to a fruitful life for me. I have been blessed by every mentoring relationship that God has given me, and I am excited to see what the future holds.

No comments: