Thursday, February 7, 2013

Finding God in the Margins

There are several organizations in East Liberty that reach out to people who are struggling with homelessness. The church that I lead, North Way East End, is located right in the heart of East Liberty. As an urban pastor, I spend a considerable amount of time walking around the city where God has called me to lead. In my walks through East Liberty I often cross paths with people who are navigating through homelessness. These people are becoming my friends. I spend time with them during the week. They attend my church on Sunday mornings. I have become caught up in their stories, and they have become caught up in my story.

I learn so much from my friends who are dealing with the pain of homelessness. These relationships are often not transactional (giving things or offering advice). Our interactions are transformational. God works through every part of these relationships. I listen to my friends a lot. They listen to me. We laugh together. We hurt together. God allows my heart to break by entering into the pain of others. I celebrate break throughs in life with my friends, and we talk about and pray through pain. God takes each of us on a process of transformation.

Understanding God's mission is an important part of discerning how God wants me to lead in complex urban environments. God's grace is like water, flowing down and pooling in low places. I spend plenty of time as a pastor with people in powerful places, but I also find great joy in participating in God's mission in powerless places. I experience God's grace in abundance when I spend time with people who are marginalized by mainstream society. I often feel closest to God when I'm spending time with people who are close to God's heart... those who are most vulnerable. This is why it is such a great privilege to be a pastor in a city. I interact with so many different kinds of people on a daily basis, and God works through others to enhance my own growth in life.

No comments: