Monday, October 8, 2012

Walking and Talking

Each week, one of my favorite "meetings" that I look forward to is the time spent with my friend in ministry, Pastor Freedom Blackwell. To be honest, I don't like meetings. I don't know many people who really do. I know that it is important to get together with people for planning purposes, though. And, so, Pastor Freedom and I, both pastors who love being out in the community and being relational, have settled on the streets of the city for our weekly meeting space. We walk together in the streets of East Liberty and the surrounding communities reflecting on everything that God has done and dreaming about the vision that God has in store for us in the future. We talk about a lot of different things, and there is much to discuss when it comes to leading a cross-cultural, missional, multisite church in such a dynamic part of the city. Urban ministry doesn't happen in sterile office environments. It happens best when we roll up our sleeves and jump right into the heart of the city to mix it up.

No comments: