Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Looking Back on Christian History

I've spent several hours this week preparing for one of my breakout sessions at the upcoming OrphanCare Expo at North Way entitled "A Global Christian History of Orphan Care." My preparation has allowed me to review the books and classes that I took on Christian history. Christian history is filled with tragic examples of how people did damage to others through violently imposing belief systems on others, and it is filled with many inspiring examples of people who lived like Jesus and selflessly gave themselves away to others for the sake of lovingly sharing the profound hope that is found in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

It is important for me to remind myself about the negative parts of Christian history so that I can avoid making those same types of mistakes in my context. Also, it is important for me to learn from the heroes of the faith who went before me so that I might be a more effective follower of Jesus in this short life that I've been given. Yes, I am prepared to share some important things that God has put on my heart for the OrphanCare Expo on Saturday. But, more than that, I am being reminded that I want to be a sold out follower of Jesus Christ who serves others in the midst of very difficult life circumstances. The people throughout human history who seemed to have the most impact in terms of advancing the kingdom of God also had very little regard for safety or the comforts that this world has to offer. I am inspired to live like them. I will go anywhere, at any time, for the sake of Christ, no matter the cost. I don't care about the comforts that America has to offer. I don't care about my safety, or my house, or my car, or any of those things. I just care about Christ and being obedient to the meaningful and sometimes dangerous call that he has placed on my life. I don't even care about receiving any of the credit for that calling... Christ deserves all glory and honor.

No comments: