Monday, July 2, 2012

The Sounds of the City

After a long weekend of urban ministry, Julie and I sat on our porch last night and reflected. We realized that we had just officially celebrated three years of living in Homewood. As I had that realization, I noticed the same sounds of the city that struck me as shocking when we first moved to the city. I noticed the same sounds of sirens, trains, busses, and fireworks that we noticed during the summer three years ago. I noticed the sounds of children playing in the streets. My daughters created street chalk drawings on our sidewalk as we listened to the sounds of the city. A whole bunch of neighborhood kids stopped by our house to see if we had any freezie pops to share with them. We did. As the kids rode away from our house on their bikes, freezie pops in hand and big smiles on their faces, I thanked God for the ministry that he has given our family in the city. God has blessed us with good relationships with our neighbors, a unique mentoring program, and a new church to lead. We are in the midst of quite an adventure, and I am so thankful for how good God is.

No comments: