Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Reflecting on Life with my Wife

Last night I had the opportunity to sit on my back porch with my wife and reflect on a full day of urban ministry. Yesterday was a reminder of the full ups and downs of advancing the kingdom of God in the city. The city is a magnifier of both brokenness and triumph. The city is full of pain and joy. As such, urban ministry leaders need to learn how to lead sensitively through all of the ups and downs that come on a seemingly daily basis. Much reflection is required in order to be effective as a pastor in the city, and I am thankful for the opportunities that I have to navigate through the complexities of life with my incredible wife. We are on quite an adventure together as a family, and I am so thankful that God has given me such an amazing advocate and life long friend in Julie.

5 comments:

Madison said...

Hello, My name is Madison and I found your blog while googling possible locations for moving after I graduate from college. I feel called to do urban ministry, through teaching and living in the same community. I felt propelled to live this way but have never actually met anyone who was doing it. I'd love to have some questions answered. Firstly, How did you guys decide to move to that particular neighborhood?

Bryan McCabe said...

Hi Madison. Thanks for your comment! We moved to the Homewood neighborhood of Pittsburgh initially because I was leading a mentoring program for kids in the neighborhood and I felt strongly that God was asking me to move my family to live in the community where I was serving. I'm still involved in leading the mentoring program, but I'm also now a pastor in the this part of my city. So, to answer your question, I think that leaders who work with people in the inner city can potentially be more effective when they choose to live in the neighborhoods where they work.

Madison said...

Another question: Did you find it difficult to find a house and initially make your move into the neighborhood? Was your family accepted easily? How are you schools near homewood? And would homewood be a good place for other people to move into and missionally live?

Bryan McCabe said...

Homewood would be a good place to move to and missionally live, but it is definitely a countercultural calling that someone would need to be uniquely called to. There are many people doing tremendous work in Homewood to improve the neighborhood, but there are still a lot of issues that residents are navigating through such as crime and poverty. Our church partners with the local public schools through the mentoring program, and while the schools are making progress there is still a lot of room for improvement. That's why we feel called to partner with them, though. My family enjoys the neighborhood because we have been obedient to the calling that God gave us, and we continue to build relationships with our neighbors even though it's tough sometimes. I could connect you with some other folks who are involved in missional community in Homewood if you're interested.

Madison said...

I would love to be put in contact with other people involved. My email address is: madisonlouise (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks, This has been a really helpful step as I prayerfully consider this lifestyle.