Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Walking in the City

I love to take walks in the city. The walks in my nieghborhood partially help my young and extremely energetic dog, Bella, to get out a lot of her pent up stress (hence, not taking that pent up stress out on chewing furniture or destroying my yard). The walks also allow me to get to know people and find out more about what's really going on in the streets. As a pastor in the city, it is really important for me to be out and about in the community to interact with people. There is no such thing as effective urban ministry that is done from a safe, sterile church office. Urban theology is hashed out in the streets, in neighborhoods, with people and in the midst of the complex urban environment. As I walk, I search the city for signs of hope and signs of need. I look for assets that can be built upon. Just yesterday I happened to meet a businessman who has owned a business in my church's neighborhood for fifty years. He told me all kinds of great things to know about the neighborhood. That's how contextualization happens. I listen a lot. I get out of my comfort zone a lot. And that's right where the Holy Spirit loves to work on my heart and help me grow as a leader.

No comments: