Friday, April 27, 2012

Finding Purpose in Urban Ministry

Over the past several weeks I have been experiencing the full ups and downs of urban ministry. Every day is different, so I never know what to expect from one day to the next. On some days I have meetings where I sit in an office or a conference room for a little while. Most days I am meeting with people in the community. I love to be with people. I love to be in the streets. I love block parties and worshipping God. However, budget spreadsheets and strategic planning are still important to the vision of the church. I enjoy interacting with homeless people and kids who are at risk for street gangs, and I enjoy spending time with business executives and grad school students who are navigating through the pressures of higher education. I like investing in young families as much as I enjoy supporting empty nesters and retirees in their plans to honor God with the later stages of their lives.

I admit that the dynamics of urban ministry can be very challenging, but I am thankful that God has prepared me for this calling. I am learning a lot every day, and I must depend on God to come through every day. My goal in my life is to give myself away to God's purposes every day. I love being a part of God's mission. People's hearts are being transformed by God. Our city is being transformed by God. I can't think of anything else that I'd rather being doing with my life right now, and my goal is to help everyone else that I come into contact with to experience the profound joy that is found in living in God's mission every day.

1 comment:

Todd McKeever said...

Looking forward to reading your blog as I too am in an urban ministry here in KC,MO at Sheffield Family Life Center, we are a church of 5000+.

I blog over at toddmckeever.com but not about urban stuff instead I am blogging about kids minsitry, leadership, productivity etc.