Wednesday, February 22, 2012

New Programs in the City

Today I had the opportunity to meet with a young person who has some great ideas about programs designed to impact at-risk youth in the inner city. These particular programs involved sports and leadership, and the curriculum was very promising and well researched. This individual wanted to meet with me to talk about how he might be able to implement the program in Homewood. I told him that I thought the program was much needed in my neighborhood, and that no doubt it could help a lot of people. However, there are already several other organizations doing similar sports-related outreach in Homewood. Also, he didn't really know anyone from Homewood so he wasn't quite sure where to begin or if the programs would be effective.

We talked for a while, and he had a humble spirit as he asked me about the work that I do with at-risk youth in Homewood. He listened as I shared some of my journey of serving in the inner city over the past six years... my failures and break throughs. I encouraged my new friend that struggling urban neighborhoods can definitely use outside programs and resources, but the outside support needs to be implemented very carefully. I encouraged him to set his program/curriculum aside and go to Homewood and spend time in the neighborhood getting to know people. I offered to introduce him to some gatekeepers into the community who might be willing to let him in. Also, I encouraged him to identify and appreciate the assets in the inner city... including sports outreach programs that have been operating in the neighborhood for years. I mentioned that he might just want to spend months, maybe years, in the neighborhood getting to know people before he started to implement any programming. That's what contextualization and asset-building are all about. Outside programs can be very effective when partnered well with inside and already established programs. Relationships are also important, and the goal of the programs should lead to transformation and empowerment in building on the assets that are already in the community.

I may have overwhelmed the young man I met with today, but I really encouraged him to stay the course and work toward helping people living in struggling urban neighborhoods through sports outreach. I hope that from today on he will give himself away to people in need, and that he will do it through partnerships and relationships that will be sustainable and empowering for years to come. Sometimes good intentions can cause great harm, and sometimes the slow process of transformation is more about consistent relationships with people over time than it is about some program that's brought in from the outside. Still, cities are complex places that require a complex response from people who are trying to help out. Both insiders and outsiders are needed to bring about positive change in the city.

No comments: