Saturday, November 5, 2011

Presence in the East End

My calling as a pastor in the East End of Pittsburgh is so unique. The region I serve is a diverse area with many different kinds of people in various stages of life. Yesterday was probably a good example of the unique skill set that is required of urban pastors. I went for a walk with my wife in East Liberty, and we had several conversations with people as we grabbed lunch at Whole Foods and strolled past Starbucks, Target, abandoned buildings, and locally owned small businesses. We are really enjoying getting to know our neighbors in East Liberty, and God is opening up many doors for conversations as we walk around and get to know people. In the afternoon I spent time with some local developers from the Pittsburgh region who are involved in massive construction projects that are planned for Homewood. These guys shared their vision for the transformation that is underway in Homewood. After they left I went out into Homewood to spend some time with people in the streets and I ended up bumping into several friends, one of whom is a Muslim. He has spent a lot of time over at our house over the past couple of years, but we lost touch with him recently when he moved to a different neighborhood. It was great to catch up with him and see how he was doing. Next, I ended up putting myself right into the middle of two dramatic situations. As a pastor, I found myself deescalating a potential incident involving gun violence between two teenagers. I also visited a mentee's house right as he was in the midst of an argument with his mother. I got him out of the house for a couple hours so they could both cool down. These are the kinds of things that make my job as a pastor in the city so unique. Cities are complex with many different kinds of people and environments. The only way to really be effective at ministering to urban people is to hit the streets. It's important to be present with people in real time, not holed up in an office in front of a computer. Urban ministry is not for everyone, but for those who have been called it is an amazing thing to be a part of. God is often able to work through me on a daily basis to accomplish his purposes, and when I wake up every day I have no idea what to expect. The East End of Pittsburgh really involves me giving up control of my life every day in exchange for complete surrender to God. I can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing with my life!

No comments: