Friday, November 25, 2011

Black Friday

Black Friday breaks my heart. God has given me the privilege of becoming very close to many friends and neighbors struggling through the grind of deep, urban poverty. I often wish Christians in America with access to resources would demonstrate as much passion to steward those resources (time, money, and talent) on behalf of God with people in need as they do on themselves and their families. We disobey God when we ignore the needs of the poor so that we can have more stuff (even if that stuff comes at a "great" price on Black Friday). God calls all Christians to be radicals for the sake of advancing the Kingdom of God. Black Friday looks to me like radical behavior that lines up really well with the world's standards. A $1,000 flat screen TV is more than the average annual income of two-thirds of the people living on this planet. I don't think God is pleased with us selling out to the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish there were a "like" button for this post!!
I just returned from 3 weeks in Haiti and know first hand the truths in this post!!
Hope all is well with you, Julie and the girls. We need to get together soon!!
Carol Agate

Bryan McCabe said...

Thanks for the comment, Carol. We're doing well... enjoying a nice vacation out West. I'd love to hear more about your time in Haiti.