Thursday, October 6, 2011

Maintaining a Relationship with God

All North Way small groups are currently going through a series called 24, which focuses on how we can be effective as followers of Jesus with managing our time and being effective at ministering to others in spite of demaning schedules. Our small group met tonight and we engaged in a great conversation about how Jesus responded to adversity during his life. We are just getting started in the series with our small group, so it will be exciting to see where God takes us.

The topic of time management and busyness impacts many people. Many of us feel as if we cannot effectively follow Christ because we are so busy with trying to manage life. Sometimes we even become too busy because we engage in so many church responsibilities. When we take our focus off of the Lord and put it on our tasks or things that make us busy, then we miss the point of just why it is that we are doing all of those things in the first place. Days and weeks can go by without us stopping to reflect and spend quiet time with the Lord. Following Jesus is about a relationship to be experienced, and not a list of religous demands and tasks to be implemented efficiently.

And so that is what I have on my mind as I jump head first into launching a new North Way campus in the East End of the city of Pittsburgh. I want to make sure that I keep my relationship with Jesus as a priority during the busy campus launch season, and I also want to have God work through me to be able to help people be able to build their relationship with God. At the end of the day, God is moving and it is my job to be sensitive to where he is leading. It's not the other way around, where I lead and ask God to bless my plans.

No comments: