Friday, July 22, 2011

Learning from A Tough Week

I am glad that this week is starting to wrap up because of all of the difficult things that have happened, but I'm also thankful for how God has drawn me closer to him through these circumstances. Many friends and family members have connected with Julie and me to support us as we navigate through repairing our basement from the flooding on Monday. My friend's passing away at 34 years older earlier this week has really caused me to reflect on how short life is, how blessed I have been to this point in my life, and how I want to continue to live every day that God gives me to the fullest. An uncle who I am close to, Craig Morris, has been battling for his life this week with cancer. I am thankful for the opportunity that I had to pray with him, and through his pain God is showing me again how fragile life is and that I need to make the most of every day.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like going through tough times. However, when things get tough I depend on God more, and I also value the relationships in my life more. For those outcomes, I am thankful. Not having hot water for a week or losing my home office are just inconveniences that will eventually go away, but the lessons I've learned this week I'll carry with me forever. A lot of people depend on me as a husband, father, friend, and pastor, but in weeks like this it's important that I learn to give up control and allow God to father me and care for my heart. Otherwise, it's all just too much to take. I am finding peace in my Heavenly Father this week, even as my heart is heavy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

God be with u and family always pastor.. God bless..=)