Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Journey of Life

I was involved in a great conversation tonight with my church small group about purpose in life, desires, passions, and heaven.  It was so much fun!  I think it is so important to slow down and reflect as much as possible about our hearts and the many different ways that God has designed each of us.  Reflections about the meaning of life... the ups and downs... the joys and the sorrows... the desires of our hearts... are best done in authentic community.  If our lives are a journey, then we need to have other people along with us on that journey. 

I have had many people come along side me during my journey, and I experience great joy in investing in the lives of the kids I am mentoring, as well.  My mentees have plenty of adults in their lives who tell them about all of their needs, all of their shortcomings, and all of their problems.  But, as a mentor, I serve the function of being an adult who builds them up, helps them dream, and encourages them to pursue the journey of life with all of their hearts.

And so there are two basic perspectives to live by in this blog post.  First, God has designed each of us to live a passionate life of adventure in real community with people who are dedicated to lifting us up.  And, second, we all have a responsibility to invest in the next generation of young people by helping them to live from their hearts in a passionate, adventure-filled journey in relationship with God and one another. 

No comments: