Thursday, December 16, 2010

It's All About God and Relationships

Recently a kid from Homewood asked me, "Mr. B. Why did you move to Homewood?"  I found myself kind of fumbling for an anwer.  I didn't think that he would understand that I am applying incarnational leadership principles in order to contribute to the process of transformation in Homewood.  Urban ministry models raced through my brain, and I could have talked about so many aspects of the calling that God has given our family to reach people in Homewood.  Eventually, I just answered "Well, we moved here because of the relationships we have with you guys (our mentees) through LAMP.  We wanted to be closer to all of you... to experience what you experience... to be closer to you in case you need us... in short, we just want to be better mentors."

I moved to Homewood for many different reasons.  I love the relationships I have with the kids in Homewood.  I love Pittsburgh.  I love Homewood.  I want to be obedient when God asks me to do something.  I want to be a more effective leader.  I want my life to be real.  I want to take risks.  I want to give myself away for others.  But at the end of the day, my move to Homewood was not about me.  I am not a savior, nor do I ever want to try to be or have other people consider me to be one.  I'm just an ordinary guy.  In fact, I'm nothing without Christ.  And so my move to Homewood is all about about Jesus.  More than anything, I want my young friend to know that Jesus loves him and has a plan and purpose for his life.  And the best way I know how to get that message across to him is by entering his context.  After all, Jesus is moving in his neighborhood in many different ways.  I have chosen to simply join the work that God is doing in Homewood.

No comments: