Wednesday, December 22, 2010

December

December is always an intense time to work at a church, and this year has been no exception at North Way.  I have learned that LAMP is particularly busy at this time of year because many LAMP families have needs and people are very interested in helping to meet those needs at this time of year.  As an urban ministry practitioner, December requires me to creatively use my leadership skills and it sometimes tests my cross-cultural relationship building abilities.  The outcomes are generally great, but the work is heavy at this time of year.  I also have a research paper due at the end of December for the DMin, so I've been moving pretty fast lately.

When things are busy or stressful for me as an urban ministry leader and student, I have had to learn how to take care of myself and manage my time.  But most importantly, at these busy times I have learned the importance of being led by God instead of trying to control my circumstances or lead myself.  I often fail at yielding control of ministry activity to God, but I'm trying to become more patient and willing to wait on God's timing.  Today God actually came through in an amazing way in several areas.  It was remarkable!!!  I was tired and worn out, and God intervened and opened up some amazing doors.  As a result, Homewood families will be supported in some amazing ways.  And, today I had the opportunity to have some exciting conversations about God with a few of my mentees.

The bottom line is... when things get difficult and we don't know how things are going to get done, that's usually when God comes through.  I believe that God loves to come through for us in ways that we can never understand.  But we must be willing to give up control and be patient in order for God to be in control of our lives.

No comments: