Wednesday, December 15, 2010

How Should Church Leaders Spend Their Time?

I listened for a little while last night to a Christian preacher on the radio.  He made the comment that studying and sermon preparation are extremely important to pastors... so important that people should not bother pastors during the week because they are simply being selfish and cutting into the pastor's study time.  This particular pastor said that he spends at least 24 hours in his office studying for his sermons every week.  He is a very good communicator, and one can tell that he spends a lot of time preparing to preach from the Bible. I can appreciate some good, undistracted study time (I have to force myself to do that sometimes while working on a doctorate degree).  However, this preacher's comments didn't sit well with me.  For some reason there is a mindset out there that church leaders should be sitting at a desk Monday through Friday to be effective.  There is a mindset that church leaders should be sheltered or protected from being with people because that requires too much relational capacity.  For some reason there is a mindset at churches that the Christian experience is about Sunday mornings, and that everything that happens during the week is simply planning for programs and preaching at a building.

I believe that church leaders should spend very little time sitting at their desks doing emails or studying.  Instead they should be out and about visiting with people, both people who go to their church and people who are not Christians.  Church leaders should be expected to have a lot of relational capacity... we shouldn't be guarded from being with people.  I believe theology is hashed out in context, on the streets and in people's homes and at their jobs.  Those are the places that Christian leaders should be spending their time.  The Christian life is not only played out on Sunday mornings.  The Christian life is every day, all day, in messy, complex environments.

I was thinking to myself how absurd that pastor's comments were in light of my experiences as a church leader over the last three or four days.  On Sunday evening one of the kids from my neighorhood was arrested.  His mom and brothers were very upset, so Julie and I dropped what we were doing (mostly resting after church in the morning and mentoring in the afternoon) and we went over to their house in Homewood to see how we could support the family.  Julie ministered to the mom and helped to calm her down while I did my best to try to deescalate two of the brothers (15 and 17 years old) who wanted to go fight the boys who they thought had been responsible for getting their brother arrested.  I spent time with those boys for a couple hours on Monday morning and most of Monday evening (we had them over for dinner).  So much for the study time I had set aside for Monday evening... I instead spent that time with my young friend who was released from the youth detention center that afternoon.  We talked about the next steps in his case, and how I could support him at his court hearing.  After the kids from the neighborhood left on Monday night, I received a call that one of our LAMP families was in desperate need and I would have to change the plans I had for early Tuesday morning in order to engage and support them in their situation.  They were on the brink of being homeless, so we offered for them to stay at our house if needed. I think we may have bought them some more time, and we're working on helping them get into stable housing.  Still, I spent Tuesday morning in their living room supporting the LAMP mentee and his mother.  Tuesday night it was very cold and snowing outside, but many kids still wanted to go to our weekly Tuesday night basketball league at the YMCA in Homewood.  So I drove around all over the place picking up kids who had the farthest walk to get to the Y.  In spite of the weather tons of kids showed up to play basketball, eat pizza, pray together, and hear the gospel message.  "Church" was happening on a cold Tuesday night in Homewood at a basketball gym... and I didn't even have to study in my office for 26 hours to prepare!

I am not trying to point at my life and say that I have everything all figured out about how to be a church leader.  There are many different roles in the Church.  I just play one small part.  However, I do believe strongly that Christian leaders should be out in the world, not just on Sunday morning, mixing it up relationally with all kinds of people (not just other Christians or people who go to our churches).  Church leaders, especially urban church leaders, should treat their cities and neighborhoods like a parish.  We should head out of our offices and into the streets, homes, hospitals, schools, and businesses in our area.  "Church" happens throughout the week, too.  We should not turn our spirituality on and off, or over progam ourselves for Sunday morning experiences so that we don't have time throughout the week to doing anything other than prepare for sermons or plan program activity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bryan

Well, I understand what you're saying regarding church leaders and don't neccessarily disagree, but I will defend them some. Yes, every Christian needs to engage 'people in the world' so to speak, but the idea that church leaders 'should spend little time sitting at their desks' just doesn't hold water, bro. It all comes down to God's calling and giftedness.

There are some men (and women, too) that God has gifted to be great theologians, preachers, and teachers. These are the people who publicly communicate well, who can connect with people spiritually with their words. Think of people like Spurgeon, MacArthur, etc. For these people to be effective they must spend a tremendous amount of time in study, research, and prayer. It's working in their giftedness. 'Being behind their desks' is how they prepare to bless many others. To knock someone for staying to true to their giftedness and not going outside of their giftedness isn't really right or fair.

About 15 years ago I went to a 3 day seminar on precept Bible study. The fellow that taught it was one of the best teachers I've ever had the privilege of listening to. Absolutely top notch. But... if you went up to talk to him, he had the personality of a dead fish. Teaching from up front was his giftedness - talking one on one was definitely not.

So, the take away is this: we need to encourage each other to exercise the gifts God has given us for the benefit of the Body and the benefit of the world, and not unfairly expect people to work outside of their giftedness.

John V

Bryan McCabe said...

I had a feeling I was gonna get some push back for this one.

You're right...