Friday, November 19, 2010

Learning About Cities

I'm flying home from NYC today.  Can't wait to see my girls!  I was able to rest and get some great work done on the dissertation.  I had some amazing conversations with my little sister, Cameron, who is also in seminary right now.  She is taking a course called The Church in the Urban World, and so she is really having her eyes opened to how God is moving globally and through cities around the world.  We live in an era where many Christians are confused and anxious about the global, pluralistic, urban complexities of life, so well-meaning people are attempting to build comfortable little Christian bubbles for themselves to escape from the world.  I believe that instead of running away from the complexity of modern society, Christians should be educating and equipping themselves to run full speed ahead into the areas where God is moving globally.  Christians should become experts on cities because God is rapidly urbanizing the world.  Christians who choose to run away from the complexities of urban life will probably be ill-equipped to reach people for Christ in the 21st century.  God stretched me this week in NYC, but now I know how to navigate another city!  One more step in the right direction.

No comments: