Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day Three of Study Break

New York is such an amazing city.  I'm really enjoying myself here, and yesterday I completed about two weeks worth of studying in one day.  Not too bad!  I may just be able to do this whole dissertation thing after all.  I love getting to know the new sights and sounds of cities.  Every city has a personality of its own.  Even here in Brooklyn, this area has a much different feel than Manhattan.  I'm trying to relax a lot and study a lot, but I can't help myself from doing one exercise that I've learned to do through my studies at BGU.  When I walk through a city for the first time to explore, I intentionally look for signs of hope and signs of need in the community.  I view city streets as holy ground, and I try to find where the Holy Spirit might be working in vulnerable places and in powerful places.  I like to pray as I walk sometimes for people and places that I see.  Much happens in cities that impacts the rest of the world, so it is important for Christians to engage cities in many different and creative ways.  Plus, exploring new cities is so fun and interesting.  I am thankful that God has given me an urban lens with which to view the world that I never really had until about five years ago.  I have a lot of exploring to do as an adult... there are over 500 cities in the world with at least a million people.  I've got my work cut out for me!

No comments: