Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Events and Relationships

Every Monday night Julie and I open our house to kids in Homewood from 5-7pm.  There were 46 people in our house last night.  We're really starting to explore some other options for where and how we can host a group that big (our living room definitely isn't cutting it anymore).  This past Friday night over 1,000 people signed up to attend the Harvest Party in Homewood.  I don't think that many people actually showed up, but it was a different paradigm for us as we planned for an event with potentially over 1,000 people.  It's cool that kids are showing up to planned activities.  However, while a large number of kids showing up to something is a gauge of success in many organizations that work with kids, I still feel that the best way to impact kids is one child at a time.  I truly wish I had enough mentors to match with every child in Homewood that actually needed a mentor.  I know that that type of support would really make a long-term, transformational difference in my community.

I think that our Monday night group is a nice thing for some kids in Homewood.  I think that the Harvest Party is a very nice thing for the kids in Homewood.  But between Monday nights, and between events for kids in Homewood, I run into many, many children in Homewood who just want to have somebody to spend time with them and invest in them.  Events can be a very positive thing for a community, but I believe that lasting impact starts with relationships.  Mentoring is not a fix-all for Homewood, but mentoring is a great place to focus efforts because it is focused on building one-to-one relationships.  There is just something about mentoring, which many people call the "magic of mentoring," that leads to amazing outcomes for children over time.  I love events that impact children in Homewood.  But I love mentoring matches that impact the children in Homewood even more.  Maybe some people who volunteered at the Harvest Party will want to become a mentor?  I guess I'll find out soon enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bryan

Mentoring in general seems to have become a lost art. A century ago a person learned a trade by being an apprentice - basically, a mentee. You were taken under the wing of a craftsman who taught you the trade and also usually taught you about life, too.

Having two adult mentees (ages 29 and 30) besides my two LAMP mentees has really brought home to me the impact mentoring can have. Maybe instead of using the word 'mentoring' we should call it 'life apprenticing' and see if people respond more.

John V