Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Shots in the Night

Early this morning at about 1am I was jolted out of my deep sleep by the unmistakable sound of gun shots outside my house.  While my wife and daughters slept, I stayed awake for a while to make sure everything was alright.  While I was awake, my thoughts drifted to all of the violence that has hit Homewood this year.  Too many young people have lost their lives.  It's tragic.  Just two days ago a 22 year old man from Homewood was killed while waiting at a bus stop for a ride to work on a main street near my neighborhood.  Someone drove by and fired 26 rounds at him.  Luckily, nobody else was injured even though that was a busy bus stop at 10:30 in the morning.

Young people from Homewood dying violently greatly disturbs me.  It should disturb everyone who lives in Pittsburgh... not just the people in Homewood.  The violence in Pittsburgh is a Pittsburgh-wide problem, so we all must come together to find a solution.  In the early hours of this morning, all I could think about was the great burden I have for the young people in Homewood.  I shared that burden with our staff at North Way during our weekly staff meeting this morning.  I happen to lead LAMP in Homewood, and I am very passionate about it.  But finding mentors for young people in Homewood, before they get involved in violence, is not just my issue because I happen to lead LAMP.  It is our entire church's issue.  We cannot possibly solve all of the problems that lead to violence in Homewood, nor is that our purpose with LAMP.  There are many factors that lead to youth violence, and we cannot impact all of those factors.  But... one thing we can do is find enough mentors to match with the kids on the waiting list.  It's only about 50 children, and our church has several thousand people.

God is working through many people and organizations toward the transformation of Homewood.  North Way contributes mentors as one part of those combined efforts.  I am hopeful for this community.  In the meantime, I am also heartbroken. Transformation is indeed a process, and my heart will remain burdened every time I hear gunshots or learn about another young person dying in my neighborhood.  I will never become complacent to these violent circumstances.  However, I cannot control whether or not people from my church decide to mentor the kids who are waiting.  I can do my best to put the needs in front of people as best as I can, but in the end God must work on people's hearts and the people who the Holy Spirit nudges must be obedient to follow through.  I know it is no coincidence that God opened the door for our church to mentor children in Homewood.  If God could open that door, then he is by all means capable of bringing enough people for every single child who wants a mentor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bryan

I don't have any statistics with which to back this up, but by watching the local news it sure seems like violence in Pittsburgh is on the rise. From what I read it is generally down across the country, though. If both those statements are true, then why is Pittsburgh an anomaly? Supposedly Pittsburgh's rate of unemployment and other economic factors are somewhat better than the national average, so it would seem that economics aren't the reason. Do you have any ideas?

John V