Friday, May 7, 2010

Raising Kids to be Giants

My dad and I attended an event last week where Dr. John Perkins spoke. He is a nationally renowned leader in Christian community development and racial reconciliation. We both had the chance to meet him, and he was very engaging with both of us. Following the first section of the conference in which he delivered a passionate call for all Christians to engage in racial reconciliation and social justice, my dad said the following to him as the three of us spoke: "I hear what you are saying, but I wonder if my son here has taken your message too far? He moved my grandchildren into one of the most violent neighborhoods in Pittsburgh, where they are surrounded by gangs, drugs, prostitution, and boarded up homes. My granddaughter is the only white child in a school with over 500 black children. Their neighborhood is not safe. What impact do you think all of this is having on my grandchildren?"

As dad described the blight of the situation (and I love my dad's heart by the way... he has been very supportive of us), Dr. Perkins cracked a smile that kept getting bigger and bigger as the circumstances were described more and more dramatically. To answer the question, he put his arm around me, looked my dad square in the eyes, and said, "Listen to me, now. I know you think what your son is doing probably doesn't make any sense, and I don't blame you for being concerned. But... your son is giving your granddaughters an incredible gift. Mark my words... they are going to grow up to be spiritual giants! They will make a huge impact for Christ in this world because of their life experiences growing up!"

Of course I was so blessed by his answer, but my dad was really pleased, too. We live in a society which leads many kids astray, and many parents think they are helping their children by raising them in the safest circumstances that they can possibly find... the best schools, the safest neighborhoods, etc. Dr. Perkins' perspective, which I strongly believe in, is that we should not shelter our children from the brokenness in our world. Julie and I are modeling for our children how God calls us as Christians to engage culture, serve people who are hurting, and lead people to Christ's restoring and transformational love. Ministry does not happen in sterile conditions, and kids will not learn how to be transformational agents for Christ by living comfortably and at a safe distance from brokenness in our society.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so challenged by Dr. Perkins' words to you and your dad. It makes complete sense, yet I would dare to say is not the "typical" viewpoint of most Christian families (including mine over the years). I'm still processing this. Thanks for sharing...really needed to read this today!

Anonymous said...

Bryan

I agree. I guess my concern is that your girls might grow up 'too soon, too fast' - that they're going to lose their innocence (mentally and emotionally, I mean) at a much earlier age than you would have preferred. You see it all the time in the kids we mentor.

That said, God is God of that, too, and with you and Julie pouring the Word into the girls' lives we can Trust Him to do what He needs to do here.

John V