Friday, May 21, 2010

Ignatius of Antioch

Part of my requirement for this Global Christian History course at BGU is to give a list of the twenty Christians over the past 2,000 years who make up a part of my spiritual DNA. I am supposed to give their name, and in one paragraph describe briefly what they are known for and how they have impacted my spirituality. Here's my first one... I'll roll out the other nineteen as I'm able.

Ignatius of Antioch was a bishop in the first century who was martyred as an old man to amuse the Roman people. He wrote seven letters on his way to martyrdom that inspired many believers. He had great prestige among Christians while he was alive, and he was an effective leader in the early church. Among those he influenced were Onesimus and Polycarp. He shows me that Christians should finish strong and stand by their convictions even in the face of persecution.

No comments: