Friday, May 14, 2010

Growing Anticipation

I am heading to the Seattle area next week as a part of my Global Christian History course. It is being taught by Dr. Ray Bakke at his residence called Bakken. Anyone who has read this blog or knows about my recent life experiences knows how much of an influence he has been on my life. If you are unfamiliar with him, please check out some of the books he has written such as The Urban Christian, Street Signs, or A Theology as Big as the City. You will gain a great understanding of God's heart for us all to be reaching the lost with the love of Christ, especially in places that are often ignored by mainstream Western society.

A couple thoughts before I go. Please pray for Julie and I (she is going with me). Being involved in full-time urban ministry is very intense, although it is a challenge that we are very appreciative of and a calling that we are humbled by. Time away like this for the purposes of being equipped and refreshed is crucial for us. Julie's parents will be staying with the girls in Homewood while we are away.

Also, I guess I'll finish this post with a challenge to you (the reader). In this class I will be learning with and from many people who are quite different than me. I have taken a peak at the class roster, and it is quite an interesting group of people. They are from Washington, California, Texas, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Florida, India, and other countries. Many different races and nationalities are represented. The author of our main text book, Justo Gonzalez, is from Cuba. Our learning involves many different global and social perspectives. First, are you a life long learner? I think everyone should be, even if it doesn't involve a doctorate degree. Second, are you opening yourself up to perspectives from folks who are much different than you racially, demographically, etc.? For instance, if you are a middle class white conservative Christian American, how much of your worldview is being shaped by folks who look and think like you such as Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh? If that's true, maybe it's time to look into some other perspectives. The point is: be a life long learner, and be open to learning from others who are different than you.

No comments: