Monday, January 4, 2010

All Heart in 2010

It's hard not to get caught up in setting new resolutions at the start of each new year. Julie and I had plenty of time to talk in our nearly 1,000 miles in the car together over the past couple of weeks. These conversations predictably turned to new resolutions that we would be implementing in 2010... how we were going to discipline our lives financially, physically, spiritually, and pragmatically by implementing precise systems designed to make us more efficient in nearly everything we do. But something strange was happening in my heart as we discussed our plans to straighten up... my heart wasn't in it. In fact, the more we applied the pressure the more my heart was sinking as I thought about the increased demands on my time and duties and overall stress level that these activities would surely bring. No... I feel like I actually need to back off in 2010. I need to allow for my heart to grow closer to Jesus, and create the margin in life to be in love with God.

That was what was on my heart, so we decided to read through one of John Eldredge's books called "The Sacred Romance." I really recommend it to you if you are intending to "redouble your efforts" at arranging for life or becoming more disciplined in 2010. Eldredge writes, "For above all else, the Christian life is a love affair of the heart. It cannot be lived primarily as a set of principles or ethics. It cannot be managed with steps and programs. It cannot be lived exclusively as a moral code leading to righteousness... Most Christians have lost the life of their heart and with it, their romance with God."

My New Year's resolution is to intentionally draw my heart closer God's this year. Urban ministry can be draining, so that means it is all the more important that I be intentional about connecting and recharging with my Lord as much as possible. Efficiency and proficiency may be celebrated by the world, but I know that God is not all that impressed with my worldly accomplishments. I want to be in a relationship with God where we are in love, and the journey of life will be mysterious, risky, and unpredictable... not efficient, dutiful, and busy.

1 comment:

Jason Gregg said...

That is a really good book. I've done multiple group studies using that book and it's always had great responses.