Monday, August 31, 2009

The Trap of Busyness and Distraction

Fourteen more people signed up to become LAMP mentors during the small group connect event at North Way Wexford this past weekend. LAMP is in a period of intense recruitment at North Way, with a goal of 70 new mentor matches by Thanksgiving. This will need to be a movement of God, and I can sense that He is leading the way and touching people's lives. Many people who are signing up tell us that they have been interested in mentoring for a long time, but they have never followed through due to fear or busyness or any number of distractions.

As a leader, I must admit that I am also impacted by busyness and distractions. Lately, God has been speaking into my life in the specific area of busyness and multitasking. A lot of activity with LAMP may look like work is being accomplished, but often what the kids really need is more one to one mentoring relationships. They need my time and attention, and that of many more adults at North Way. The LAMP kids seem to have plenty to keep them occupied between school, friends, and home life. Often they lack a consistent, caring relationship that can guide them through all of the busyness and distractions.

So, the question is: How can I in good conscience ask a child to avoid busyiness and distraction n their own lives when I am unable to do that myself? Maintaining an intimate relationship with God is nearly impossible in the midst of chaos and busyiness. This morning, I spent some great time alone with the Lord. It's amazing how He meets me when I quiet myself and humble myself in front of Him. I feel much more equipped now to be able to lead the young people that God brings into my path today. Thank you Lord!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bryan

IMHO, multi-tasking is a myth. Whenever people mulit-task, all that means is that they're doing several things badly at the same time. It's much better to set priorities and tackle things one at a time; each task gets your full focus and 'your best'.

John V