Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Freezy Pops and City Sounds

Living in Homewood is so great! We are enjoying living in the city because it has been so nice to be able to build authentic relationships with the young people in LAMP. Tonight one of the boys I'm mentoring stopped over after football practice, and we had just enough dinner for him. We had an awesome discussion about life over dessert (freezy pops). It's incredible how God has blessed us in this move, and school has not even started yet. People in this community depend on each other in a way that I have never experienced before.

I'm writing this in my office which happens to be the stuffiest room in the house. The window is open, and I can hear the urban chorus in the background... sirens, crickets, busses, trains, cars, and random voices. I'm surprised at how comforting these sounds are now... the familiar sounds of home. This city has a pulse. It has a life of its own, and tonight I feel small. The city is humbling. But I don't feel unsafe. I feel protected by God... by the Creator of the universe and the major cities of this world in all of their complexity. God has a plan for my life, and for the people of Homewood.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome. You guys really are mentors of mentors - living the Gospel the way Christ intended. The world desperately needs more Bryans and Julies!

Jason Gregg said...

I'm not sure the world is ready for another Bryan. Maybe more Julie's but I'm not sure about bryans. I'm really pumped for you though and excited to see where God is taking you and your community.

Anonymous said...

Bryan

Isn't being in the center of God's will a great place to be?

John V

Kristin said...

I love that you guys love it there! You guys are such an inspiration to us!

Deanna said...

I'm glad you are adjusting so well. Our small group has been praying for you - you have been such a witness to all of them. I am excited about getting back to school next week!