Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Back from vacation

I just returned from a week of vacation with my extended family at Pelee Island. I enjoyed connecting with the family, and it was also a very relaxing time away. It's amazing how different this vacation experience was from my new urban life in Homewood. I've written previously about my experiences in finding God in both rural and urban places, and the different lenses that Christians use in terms of connecting with God.

I did manage to finish reading the book "A Violent Evangelism" while I was away. I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in history, and it is a must read for any Christian who has a vested interest in the immigration policy debate in America. I have become extremely interested in the life of a man named Bartoleme de las Casas. He spoke up for the rights of indigenous people in Latin America during the sixteenth century, and he left a legacy of activism that is inspiring even to this day. If you have some free time, it would be well worth it to do some research into the life of this amazing man.

1 comment:

Jason Gregg said...

pelee, must be nice. I haven't been there in so long I forget what it looks like. **hint - hint** Glad you had a good time.