Saturday, January 31, 2009

The loss of some friends

Today I'm reading (still have about seven books to go) and writing for my project (still have the book reports and a twenty page paper to do).  I guess this is where I find out if I can actually integrate all of this research into work and family life.  I'm having a hard time focusing though, because I've had a heavy heart recently.

Two weeks ago, a friend and LAMP mentor named Jim Benton passed away.  This week, another good friend from the Light of Life Rescue Mission in Pittsburgh named Tom Lazar passed away suddenly.  Tom was a great encourager to me (he actually commented on this blog several times).  Last Sunday Tom met with about 11 people from the North Way Worship Cafe to work on developing our strategic partnership with Light of Life.  I'm really feeling the loss of both of these amazing men who were inspirations to me.  I know it sounds cheesy to say, but it reminds me of how fragile life really is.  These men were inspirations to me because they were such solid followers of Christ, and they were living out their callings in life.  I will miss them tremendously, and I can't imagine the tremendous loss that their families must be experiencing knowing the type of men they were.  Let's remember to keep their families in our prayers.

2 comments:

MaureenBin said...

Bryan,
So sorry to hear about the loss of your friends. Todd and I were at the funeral of our very close friends mother last night. We will miss her tremendously. It is with joy that we celebrate her joining our Lord in Heaven, but her vitality and love for live will be missed. We will be praying for you as you grieve the loss of these Godly Men. Hope you have a great week. We had a nice visit with Rafael this weekend. He is becoming part of the family, what a blessing. We pray that somehow we are a blessing to him as well.
Maureen

Bryan McCabe said...

Thanks, Maureen, for your family's significant investment in Rafael. I have high hopes for him. I think he can do big things with his life! Also, thanks for following the blog. I love comments.