Sunday, January 18, 2009

BGU Journal - 1/18/09


Today I had a day off from studying, so I decided to explore some more of the city before watching the Steeler game this afternoon.  I walked about ten blocks downhill from my hotel to the Seattle waterfront.  I spent some time in the Seattle Aquarium.  A friend of mine once told me that there's nothing more relaxing in life than looking at fish.  I think there's some truth to that!  My favorite fish was one that glowed in the dark in order to attract prey.

After the Aquarium I headed up to Pike Place Market and I bumped into four friends from the DMin program.  They invited me to have lunch with them at a seafood buffet, so of course I had to join them (I can never pass up a buffet).  This informal time together was actually a great time to get to know one another.

I went on a boat tour of Puget Sound after lunch.  The tour guide said that Seattle has 220 cloudy days each year, but today I was blessed with a perfect sunny day!  I could see for miles in all directions.  I love exploring the west.  It's such an adventure.  Seattle is set against a dramatic backdrop of hills, islands, and snow-capped mountains on all sides.  Also, most of the skyscrapers were built after the World Fair in the 1960s so the skyline is very modern.  The most interesting part of the tour was the huge boats, cranes, and locks in the shipyard areas.  As was the case with most of this trip, it was a lot to take in!

I chilled out in my hotel room and watched the Steeler game after the boat ride.  Go Steelers!  They're going to the Super Bowl!  Now, I can't wait to get back to Pittsburgh.  There's nothing like a city that is involved in a sports championship run.  It's an incredible sense of community.  I also can't wait to get back to Pittsburgh because I miss my wife and kids so much.  Two weeks is a long time to be away.  I'm glad many of the trips I'll be taking over the next few years will only be one week in length.

Thanks to everyone who is praying for me!  This whole experience is causing me to depend on God in a way that I never have before.  It's amazing how God meets us when we take risks.

No comments: