Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Joy in Leadership


I've been having a blast leading since I returned from Seattle.  I feel like I have really been equipped by my course work, and it is so fun to implement.  

I tried out an appreciative inquiry process at the last LAMP monthly mentor meeting, and everyone seemed to enjoy it.  I think that it opened the door for a more collaborative and energetic process of mentoring support (at least that's what I heard from a few of the mentors at the meeting).  I love taking risks and trying out new things.

Last Friday we had about 50 kids from Faison Intermediate out to a monthly group mentoring event at North Way Oakland.  The kids have really made the church their home when they are there, and the group mentors are doing a great job of connecting with them.  They're building solid relationships.  When I had the vision to launch this group mentoring effort two years ago, this is the kind of community and rapport that I had in mind.  I don't know who is blessed more:  the kids or the mentors?  Next up... snow tubing on February 13!

The LAMP leadership team at North Way met last night.  We went through the I.T.A.F.E.R.R. process of volunteer management that I learned last September in Dallas at the Externally Focused Leadership Community.  I learned a lot from listening to what these awesome LAMP leaders had to say.  It's such a joy to partner with them in this ministry.

Finally... I guess it's official:  I'm an elder at North Way (more specifically in the Worship Cafe)!  I can't wait to roll up my sleeves with my brother in Christ, Kent, who is doing an amazing job building up the Worship Cafe community.  If you know Pastor Kent, you'd agree that he is a gifted servant leader with a strong passion for God.  I'm very fortunate to be a part of that community, and I'm looking forward to seeing what God has in store.  I'm sure this is going to be an adventure.  It all kicks off with the elder's retreat in Oakland this weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Bryan! You officially becoming an elder is just a confirmation of what already existed. And thanks for allowing anonymous posts - bet you don't know who this is! :)